Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Surprise Party

About a month ago one of the girls in my class, Danine, talked to me about making her boyfriend Jake's birthday cake. (He happens to be in our class too.) He told me that he loves chocolate and peanut butter. I was ecstatic because those happen to be my favorite things as well. Oddly enough I had just received some recipes and a Blackout Cake was included in those recipes. I decided that it would be perfect but that I would substitute the chocolate filling for some sort of peanut butter filling. I will post the recipe I used below but basically I decided on a 4 layer chocolate cake with a peanut butter/cream cheese filling and Nutter Butters. So Danine decided that she wanted to have a surprise party for Jake on his birthday. A few times we were sure that he had found out, but luckily he is deaf in one ear and knew nothing about it until he saw a classmate walk into my house as they arrived. Anyway, the party was yesterday. We got out of class around noon and I went home to clean and finish the cake. I had baked it the night before and froze it, but I still had to make the filling and frosting and assemble the cake. I was able to put the filling in before Jake came over for his massage and as soon as I kicked him out Danine came over to cook and decorate. I managed to make the frosting after a small mishap of adding too much water and it turned out great! Everyone was amazed that I made it from scratch and the whole party was a huge success! Most of the cake got eaten but Jake was happy to tak the rest home to eat himself. I was surprised at how well it turned out and am glad it didn't collapse on me like the past two birthday cakes have.

2 comments:

ginger said...

that sounds good & a teeny bit rich! it sounds like too much trouble for me. maybe you'll have to start making my kids bday cakes :)sorry we coudlnt' stay longer on saturday... we had to get home so justin could plant winter grass & fun stuff like that :) maybe next time!

Brandis said...

That's a big fat cake! It was good seeing you Saturday. Come again when you can stay longer! :)