Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cooking Adventure

So, I just watched Julie/Julia last week and it made me want to be more adventurous in my cooking.  I am getting bored of the same old things!! I decided to do something similar, but not quite so crazy.  I am going to pick one full meal to make each week. This week it will be Thai Curry Coconut chicken with rice.  Last night I made some new appetizers and they turned out really good I think. We ate them with pita bread.  Here are the recipes for those of you that are adventurous:

Red Bell Pepper Dip
serves 6

2 Red bell peppers, halved and seeded
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 C fresh white bread crumbs

Place bell pepper halves and garlic in a pan and add just enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until soft and tender.  Drain and set aside to cool.

Put pepper, garlic, oil and lemon into a blender and process to a smooth puree.

Add the bread crumbs and process just enough to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Chill until ready to serve.


Herbed Feta Spread
serves 4-6

7oz feta cheese, crumbled
2oz Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
zest and juice of 1 small lemon
a small bunch of fresh mint, chopped (.5 oz)
a small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (.5 oz)
1/2 red chile, seeded and chopped
pepper

Place all ingredients except pepper in a food processor and blend until combined.  Season with pepper to taste.

Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Brandis said...

I will gladly volunteer to be on the tasting panel for the Thai Curry Coconut Chicken. I've thought about making something like that before but don't know if anybody would eat it & don't want to waste food if they don't. :)